In its effort to develop broader collaboration and commitment by companies and financial institutions to prioritize recognition of community lands, Rights and Resources Initiative has played a role in the development of a series of new tools and alternatives, aimed at leveraging and influencing the private sector—one of the most powerful stakeholders in the forested areas of the developing world—to support secure community land rights.
Learn more about the Interlaken Group, which gathers representatives from leading companies, investors, and NGOs jointly committed to addressing this issue.
Other tools include:
- Respecting Land and Forest Rights – An Interactive Guide: A new guide produced by the Interlaken Group that offers support for companies seeking to align their operations with the Voluntary Guidelines on the Governance of Tenure.
- The LandMark Map: Spearheaded by RRI and 12 other organizations, LandMark is the world’s first interactive global platform to provide maps and other critical information on lands that are collectively held and used by Indigenous Peoples and local communities.
- IAN products: Two tools which draw on geospatial data to help investors identify and manage tenure risk; enhance environmental, social, and governance (ESG) diligence; and engage local people in land and natural resource deals.
- IAN: Risk is a quantitative assessment tool designed to give investors a quick, easy means of identifying and approximating tenure risk.
- IAN: Diligence provides sector‐specific and step‐by‐step guidance on how to negotiate tenure risk throughout the project lifecycle in agriculture, mining, and hydropower projects.