Global Issues in Governing Natural Resources:
Next Generation Leadership of Public Forest Agencies
This meeting was co-organized by RRI, the Canadian Forest Service, the University of British Columbia and MegaFlorestais, in collaboration with the Government of British Columbia and the United States Forest Service.
The event was designed to better prepare the next generation of public forest agency leaders to lead in a more complex social, political, environmental and market context. It engaged mid-career professionals from forest ministries and related public agencies in cutting-edge analysis and information for a deeper understanding of global transitions in forest tenure and governance, and markets. The objective was to strengthen contributions of forest agencies to addressing land rights, poverty alleviation, governance, conservation and climate change challenges in their countries. Finally the seminar aimed to promote improved information sharing and networks among these future leaders through frank and open dialogue in a small group setting where problems and solutions could be discussed openly.
- Tom Rosser - Setting the Context: What is MegaFlorestais?
- Sally Collins - Why is Forestry Unique?
- Andy White - Forest Agencies in Transition: Major Changes, New Challenges
- Sten Nilsson - The Confluence of Food, Fuel and Fibre Changing the Forest Economic Sector
- John Innes - Resources for the Future: What we expect from our forests 20 years Part 1, Part 2
- Gary Bull - Role of Smaller Forest Enterprises in Transition
- Sally Collins & Andy White - Why the Need to "Rethink" Forest Regulations?
- Nicolas Duval-Mace - The International Model Forest Network: Partnerships for Ecosystem Sustainability
- British Columbia, Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations - Sea to Sky District Profile
- Jeffrey Hatcher - Forest tenure: Emerging trends and lessons
- Shuxin Li - Collective Forest Tenure Reform in China
- Peggy Smith - Recognizing Indigenous Peoples' Rights in Canada
- Solange Bandiaki - Forest Land Reform in Africa
- Luiz Joels - Forest Tenure Reform in Brazil
- Jeffrey Hatcher - Forest-Climate Initiatives: Implications for forest agencies
- Penny Davies - Forest Law Enforcement Governance and Trade (FLEGT)
- Don Roberts - Leadership in Forest Agencies: Observations of a Subversive Banker
- Tom Rosser - The role of public forest agencies in providing leadership for advancing the forest sector: Framing comments from Natural Resources Canada
- Sally Collins - What It Takes to Change A Forest Agency: Experience from the USA
- Luiz Joels - What It Takes to Change A Forest Agency: Experience from Brazil
- Keshav Kanel - What It Takes to Change A Forest Agency: Experience from Nepal
- Sally Collins & Andy White - Gifford Pinchot: First US Chief Forester
For more information, please contact Claire Biason at cbiason(at)rightsandresources.org.