Please check this page periodically for future vacancies.
- Fall Intern, Strategic Analysis and Global Engagement
Terms of Reference
The Rights and Resources Initiative (RRI) is a global coalition that supports the developing world’s Indigenous Peoples and local communities to secure their rights to own, control, and benefit from the natural resources they have depended on for generations.
RRI’s Strategic Analysis and Global Engagement (SAGE) program produces pertinent and timely transnational analyses, and fosters engagement in a manner that facilitates the use of RRI’s research by coalition members and other key stakeholders to carry out effective advocacy strategy at the international level to prevent negative impacts on forests and collective rights. The SAGE program is looking for a creative and passionate intern who will be closely involved in the program, learning about RRI’s work on indigenous rights to land and natural resource tenure rights.
The individual will work closely with and report directly to the Land Policy Advisor to contribute actively to the program’s strategy particularly in relations to the Gender, Global Engagement, and Land Rights Now/Global Call to Action portfolios.
This is a full time (40 hours per week), paid internship for Fall 2016, based in Georgetown, Washington, DC.
Support successful implementation of Gender Justice portfolio:
- Coordinate, contribute to, and review analytical products contributing to RRI’s Gender Justice portfolio (e.g. gender-differentiated impacts of LSLA, customary tenure).
- Support global engagement and outreach to women’s networks as part of RRI’s Gender Justice portfolio.
- Support coordination of Gender matrix team to ensure effective communication and collaboration on gender across RRG.
- Liaise with gender donors and experts to share updates and foster RRI’s learning and consolidation of gender strategy.
- Draft and review media and donor-related communication relevant to Gender Justice portfolio to ensure that reports, press releases, as well as quarterly updates and reporting are accurate and effective.
- Respond to peer review requests so that external work on gender and tenure accounts for RRI position.
- General project and budget management, including preparing and processing new agreements, liaising with consultants, tracking deliverables, maintaining project budgets and arranging payments.
Support successful implementation of the Global Engagement Portfolio:
- Support organization of the November 2016 RRI Strategic Update meeting and 2017 International conference.
- Design and maintain global engagement calendar and database, and liaise with RRI staff, and other key stakeholders to align calendar and database with portfolios of RRI partners and other key stakeholders.
- Liaise with RRI’s Outreach staff to ensure key SAGE information and success stories are readily available on RRI’s website and through social media.
- Assist to craft, post, and maintain event pages, news blogs, and web pages.
Assist in all stages of the SAGE 2016 strategy:
- Assist in the preparation of the SAGE section of RRI´ work plan for 2017.
- Support coordination and preparation for international events in coordination with RRI’s regional teams, Partners and Collaborators.
- Assist as a point of contact for event participants, engaging participants at all stages from invitation to post-event follow-up.
- Provide written translation from French and/or Spanish to English and vice versa, as needed.
- Assist with specific research and projects, as needed.
- Assist with monitoring and evaluation of the Gender, Global Engagement, and Land Rights Now program strategies, such as reviewing reports from Partners and Collaborators and writing short summaries of said reports.
- Professional fluency writing and speaking in English and a second language, particularly French or Spanish
- Working ability in Microsoft Word
- Flexibility to work independently in a highly dynamic environment while ensuring that established deadlines are met on a wide variety of tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management capability
- A professional, collegial, and cheerful demeanor
- Ability to take initiative and demonstrate responsibility and interest as an integral part of the SAGE team
- Ability to work with people in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted immediately and interviews conducted on a rolling basis, beginning immediately. The subject line of the email must read: “SAGE Intern.”
Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
Rights and Resources Group is a non-profit organization that serves as the coordinating mechanism for the Rights and Resources Initiative, a global coalition to advance forest tenure, policy and market reforms. Rights and Resources Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.